Butter Chicken is one of the greatest comfort foods in the world. This is why people order it at home a lot! So, I decided to cook a fast version of this dish, so you can make it at home easily.
Watch How To Make It:
Butter chicken is a great dish to eat in the cold season because it’s warm and a little spicy. I personally love dipping naan into the sauce. Paired with a nice red wine it can be a good comfort food to eat for Valentine’s day or date night.
Here is the written recipe, with the ingredients and step by step instructions:
- Sharp knife
- Oven Tray
- Baking Sheet
- Cutting board
- Hand Blender
- Rubber spatula
For the chicken
- 1 ½ tsp Garam masala
- 1 ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 ½ tsp smoked chili powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 7 oz yogurt (200 grams)
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- ½ lemon
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1.7 pound deboned chicken thighs (800 grams)
- olive oil
For the sauce
- 2 tsp Garam masala
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp smoked chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 14 oz tomato puree (400 ml, puree so it will cook faster)
- 7 oz heavy cream (200 ml)
- 1 fresh coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 oz butter (80 grams)
- olive oil
Prepare the chicken
- We start by cutting the chicken thighs in medium sized pieces, like this one. Then we add the pieces into a large bowl.
- Next, grate the ginger and add it over the chicken.
- Add the crushed garlic and a bit of olive oil.
- Add all the spices, the yogurt and the juice from half a lemon.
- Mix everything together and let it rest for 30 min or over night in the fridge.
- After this time, we add the marinated chicken on skewers and place them like this over a deep tray.
- Once the skewers are prepared, we put the tray in a preheated oven, at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (or 200 degrees Celsius) for 25 minutes. Halfway through, you can flip them. If you don’t want to cook the chicken in the oven or use skewers, you can also fry it in a pan.
Prepare the sauce
- In a preheated pan at medium heat add some olive oil, 2 ounces (or 60g) of butter and the chopped onion. Let the onions sweat for 7 minutes at low heat.
- After the onions become translucent, add the ginger paste and the crushed garlic, then stir.
- Add the spices and mix for 1 minute so that the flavors come out of the spices.
- Next, add the tomato puree and let it simmer on low heat for 15 min.
- After that, we add it to a large bowl and use a hand blender to make a smooth cream; or you can add it in a food processor.
- Then add the sauce back to the pan and pour in the heavy cream. Mix everything together and cook for around 2 mins at medium heat.
- Add the rest of the butter and a bit of chopped cilantro to the sauce and stir.
- The chicken should be done so take it out of the oven and add it to the pan. Cook for around 3 mins so the chicken gives flavor to the sauce.
- To serve, use a plate or a bowl and add some fresh chopped coriander for extra flavor. This goes well with naan or basmati rice.