Here’s a dish my wife and I loved to eat at home, when we travelled in Greece. It’s very simple and fast to make! Because of that, it became one of our favourite dishes to make while travelling through Europe.
Watch How To Make It
This Shrimp Pasta is a simple and delicious recipe for two people, great for date night or a cosy movie night. Enjoy….
Here is the written recipe, with the ingredients and step by step instructions:
Easy Shrimp Pasta
Roast fresh tomatoes (optional)
- If you use fresh tomatoes, you need to cook them a bit in the oven. Skip this step if you are using canned. You start by preheating the oven to about 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 celsius), for 10 minutes. Then you put the 3 fresh tomatoes in the oven tray, over a baking sheet and put them in the oven for 10-12 minutes at about 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 celsius).
- Check on the tomatoes: if they are done, get them out. You want them to have the skin a little charred. Let them rest for 5 minutes, in a deep plate, then remove the skins and stubs and finally roughly chop them. I really enjoy the smell of tomatoes from the oven!
The rest of the recipe
- While the tomatoes are doing their thing, start peeling the shrimp and add them to a plate. That is if you didn’t already buy them peeled.
- Chop the garlic and the green pepper.
- Take a medium sized pan and preheat it for 3 minutes, depending on the pan and your cooker. It needs to be hot, but you don’t want smoke coming out of it.
- When the pan is ready, add 3 tablespoons of olive oil, then the shrimp. Keep the heat at medium. Cook them for 2-3 minutes on each side, depending on the shrimp size and if they are fresh. For these, which are boiled, I cook them for 1-2 minutes on each side. This is done to give flavour to the olive oil and the tomato sauce.
- Remove the shrimp from the pan into a plate, and add the garlic into the pan. Frie it for 30 seconds or until you feel the garlic smell. Make sure to not burn the garlic!
- Add the chopped tomatoes, with its juice, and let it simmer for 2 minutes
- After that, add the wine.
- Now, change the heat to low and let the garlic, tomatoes and the wine simmer together for about 8 minutes, until this beautiful sauce has reduced a bit. If it is reduced too much, you can add some pasta water, about 2 tablespoons, which thickens the sauce and gives it more flavour.
- Speaking of pasta water, once you let the tomato sauce simmer, start preparing the pasta. In a pot with boiling water, add a teaspoon of salt and half a pound of pasta (250g). I like to use penne, but you can use any shape you like. Boil the pasta for 2 minutes less than what it says on the box, so the pasta will be al dente. You’ll cook it a bit more in the sauce, so don’t be afraid.
- Cut the lime in 4 wedges and squeeze one in the tomato sauce. You can use a lemon if you want, I just like the extra aroma a lime has, it’s more festive!
- Add the chopped green pepper, a teaspoon of salt, a teaspoon of dried oregano and a bit of black pepper. Let it simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Time to take the pasta out! Drain it and add it to the sauce. Have the heat at medium. Stir the pasta for 1 minute, just until the sauce sticks to it.
- We’re done! Let’s plate this aromatic dish: add some of the shrimp pasta in a deep plate, chop the chives and sprinkle them over. Squeeze a bit of lime and drizzle a bit of olive oil.
The italian pepper has a great aroma and is great for pasta or to use in sandwiches!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @notacheftv on Instagram and hashtag it #notacheftv.