Greek chicken and potatoes is a different way of preparing a chicken, one that I’m sure you’ll love. When I travelled there in 2019 I had the most amazing chicken with potatoes. This dish had flavours I’ve never tried in this combination: lemon, mustard and cloves. This lemon chicken was so great that I made it at home several times and now I want to share it with you!
Watch How to Make it
Not only does it taste amazing and quite different than other chicken dishes, but this Greek chicken and potatoes also smells great. My home now smells like lemons and that reminds me of Greece, which I love very much.
Here is the written recipe, with the ingredients and step by step instructions:
Greek chicken and potatoes recipe
- First off, wash and clean the chicken legs and add to a large bowl.
- Second, add the condiments over the chicken: olive oil, lemon juice, crushed garlic, dried oregano, dried thyme, salt, pepper, mustard and crushed cloves.
- Mix with a spoon or with your hands while wearing gloves so the chicken is evenly covered. If you will not wear gloves, wash your hands very well after.
- Let this lemon chicken in the fridge to marinate for at least 30 minutes, or overnight.
- While the chicken is resting, we will prepare the potatoes. Begging by turning on your oven at 400 degrees fahrenheit (or 200 degrees celsius) to preheat it.
- Then, wash the potatoes very well
- Cut them into wedges and add to a large oven tray.
- Add olive oil over them, the salt, pepper, dried oregano and the juice of a lemon. Mix everything very well.
- Next, add the chicken over the potatoes and the rest of the marinade. Optionally, you can add lemon slices over, for extra lemon flavour.
- Finally add 0,5 a cup (or 100 ml) of water in the tray.
- Cover the tray with aluminium foil so that the steam won’t get out. The steam will tenderize the meat and potatoes.
- Put the tray in the oven and cook for 40 mins at 400 degrees fahrenheit (or 200 degrees celsius) .
- After that, take the tray out but don’t turn the oven off. Remove the aluminium foil, carefully so you don’t get burned by the steam. Using a spoon, put some sauce from the tray over the chicken and potatoes.
- Add the tray back in the oven to cook for another 30 minutes at the same temperature. Once every 10 minutes, open the oven and pour more sauce over the chicken and potatoes.
- After that, take the tray out and turn off the oven. I like to use a nice plate to put my Greek lemon chicken with potatoes, and to make it look good, I sprinkle over some chopped parsley and put some extra lemon wedges.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @notacheftv on Instagram and hashtag it #notacheftv.
More Greek Recipes
If you love Greece as much as I do, you want to know as many Greek recipes as possible. Click to see all of mine in the Greek Recipes page!
Hello, do you have to put cloves in this recipe?
Hi there! I prefer them but if you don’t want to, it’s fine to not add cloves.
I used 1 TBL. ground cloves. Amazing flavor!!
Absolutely delicious. I didn’t put cloves in.
I used 7 chicken drumsticks
Thank you for the great recipe 🙂
That’s great! I’m really glad you enjoyed it
What mustard do you use?
Hello, normal yellow mustard.
What a great recipe, made it tonight and is a big wow! DELICIOUS! I’ m enjoying every bite. Thanks Andrei. 👍