Just looking at a Greek menu I didn’t think to order Fava at first, but some friends who lived there suggested it to me. After trying it, I enjoyed it so much that I recommended it to my friends and family when they went to Greece. Then I missed it so I made it at home.
Watch How To Make It:
Fava is basically a dip, great to enjoy with warm pita bread. I also like to sprinkle a few drops of lemon for extra acidity.
Here is the written recipe, with the ingredients and step by step instructions:
- We start by rinsing the split peas, 3 or 4 times or until the water is clean
- After that, in a boiling pot set at medium heat we add 4 tablespoons of olive oil, the chopped onion and cook for 5 minutes
- Then we roughly chop the garlic, add it to the pot and cook for 1 minute
- Next we add the peas, hot water and cook at low heat for 40 minutes
- Once that is done add 1 teaspoon of dry thyme, the juice of the lemon, 3 tablespoons of olive oil and freshly ground black pepper
- Next, add this mixture to a food processor or use a hand blender until you get a smooth paste
- Serve warm with slices of red onion, capers and drizzled olive oil
Did you make this recipe?
More Greek Recipes
If you love Greece as much as I do, you want to know as many Greek recipes as possible. Click to see all of mine in the Greek Recipes page!