Time for a takeout favorite: orange chicken. This nice dish has a special flavor because of the oranges, of course. It also has a nice texture to it because of the coating – crunchy and sticky at the same time. Add a little kick from the chili flakes and you have a winner for movie night!
Watch How To Make It:
Orange chicken goes well paired with rice, either plain or with vegetables, maybe even with fried rice. You’re friends will thank you for cooking this when they come over and it’s a nice touch to offer them a home cooked meal.
Here is the written recipe, with the ingredients and step by step instructions:
- We start by cutting the chicken into medium sized cubes
- Then we add it in a medium bowl, squeeze half an orange over it and sprinkle some salt and pepper. Mix until evenly covered and let the chicken marinate for 30 minutes
- In a large bowl add the eggs and the cornstarch and mix them together into a smooth paste
- Next add the chicken in this paste and mix until the chicken is well covered
- In a preheated pan at medium heat, add vegetable oil until it covers half of the pan. Make sure that the oil is hot by drizzling a bit of the batter in it. If it fries quickly, then you can add your chicken.
- Add it in small batches and fry it for 3 minutes, on each side, then let it rest on a plate or a tray, with a baking sheet on it
- Once you fried all the pieces of chicken, let them cool for 5 minutes then fry them a second round. This time, just 2 minutes – to crisp up the batter.
- To make the sweet and sour sauce, put into a preheated pan at low heat, olive oil then the crushed garlic and the ginger and cook for 30 seconds.
- Next add the juice of the remaining oranges, the soy sauce and the brown sugar. Mix everything until the sugar melts
- Then add the chili flakes, 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar and a teaspoon of cornstarch dissolved into the water. Cook at low heat for another 3 minutes, or until the sauce gets thick and sticky
- Add in the chicken and mix until it is well covered with the sticky sauce
- You can serve with some chopped green onions sprinkled over
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @notacheftv on Instagram and hashtag it #notacheftv.
More Asian Recipes
If you love Asia as much as I do, you want to know as many Asian recipes as possible. Click to see all of mine in the Asian Recipes page!