Pasta Amatriciana is all about the tomatoes and the pancetta. If you can, get some good Italian canned tomatoes because it will make a difference! These are usually made with pasta bucatini, but I’m using spaghettoni because I couldn’t find bucatini where I live.
Watch How To Make It:
To this day, the best pizza I’ve ever eaten is from a little town in Tuscany, Italy. That’s mostly because of the great ingredients they used. The tomato sauce they used was out of this world! That is why it’s so important to pick your ingredients carefully for the Pasta Amatriciana. This dish is great for family meals but also when friends come over for a dinner party. And it doesn’t take a long time to make!
Here is the written recipe, with the ingredients and step by step instructions:
- 9 oz of spaghettoni pasta (250g)
- 14 oz canned tomatoes (400g)
- 5 oz pancetta (150g)
- 3½ oz pecorino cheese (100g)
- 1 glass white wine
- black pepper
- We start by cutting the pancetta into small cubes
- After that we crush the canned tomatoes with a fork
- We add the pancetta in a preheated pan at medium heat. There is no reason to add oil because the pancetta has enough fat. We cook the pancetta for 2 minutes or until golden brown
- Then we add the white wine and mix everything together for about 1 minute
- After you can no longer smell the alcohol from the wine you can add in the tomato paste. Cook at low heat for 10-15 minutes
- While this is happening add the pasta into a boiling pot with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and cook for 2 minutes less than what it says on the box
- After the pasta has cooked add it to the sauce, mixing everything very well for 2 minutes.
- Add some black pepper
Did you make this recipe?
More Italian Recipes
If you love Italy as much as I do, you want to know as many Italian recipes as possible. Click to see all of mine in the Italian Recipes page!