Pastitsio is a very popular Greek dish. I’ve had it in Tolo, a beautiful town near Athens and then made it at home when we wanted something comforting. If you haven’t heard of it, Pastitsio is a casserole dish made out of pasta, beef, tomato sauce, béchamel and loads of flavor. I think you’re gonna love it!
Watch How To Make It:
There you have it: the famous Pastitsio! Most of the time we invite friends and family to join us when I make this dish because I always make so much!
Here is the written recipe, with the ingredients and step by step instructions:
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
- Rubber spatula
- Oven Tray
- Boiling Pot
- 2 pound ground beef (800g)
- 7 oz feta cheese (200g)
- 5 oz gruyere cheese (150g)
- 7 tbsp butter (100g)
- 4 cups milk (1L)
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 11 tbsp flour (100g)
- 3 eggs
- 1 glass red wine (150ml)
- ½ cup water (100ml)
- 14 oz chopped canned tomatoes (400g)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- olive oil
- In a preheated pan at medium heat add the olive oil, then the ground beef. Stir and cook for 12 minutes or until it gets browned
- Next, move the beef until you make room for about half a pan and add the chopped onions in that space. Cook like this for 5 minutes and then mix them.
- Again set aside the mix to make room for about a third of the pan and add in the chopped garlic. Cook like this for 30 seconds, then add the tomato paste over the garlic and cook it for 1 minute.
- After that, mix everything together and add the wine. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Then add the chopped tomatoes, a teaspoon of salt, the bay leaves, the herbs and cinnamon, the water – and cook for 25 minutes or until the sauce gets thick. Remove the bay leaves and set aside
- In a boiling pot add the pasta and cook them for 2 minutes less than what it says on the box
- While that is happening, we will make the béchamel sauce. Melt the butter in a pan at medium heat. As soon as the butter melts add the flour and whisk it for 2 minutes.
- Then add the milk in small batches while whisking.
- When the sauce starts to thicken add the nutmeg, pepper, salt, 2 egg yolks and half of the grated Gruyere cheese. Mix until the cheese melts, then set aside.
- Add the pasta in an oven tray and pour an egg over it, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the feta cheese, crumbled. Mix gently with a spoon. Optionally you can add more oregano and thyme over the pasta.
- Next, add the beef sauce over the pasta, then the béchamel sauce making sure to spread it evenly. I made the Pastitsio in a wide tray because me and my wife like it in thin layers.
- Last, sprinkle the remaining grated Gruyere cheese and place into a preheated oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (or 200 degrees Celsius), on the middle wrack and cook at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (or 175 degrees Celsius) for 40-45 minutes.
Did you make this recipe?
More Greek Recipes
If you love Greece as much as I do, you want to know as many Greek recipes as possible. Click to see all of mine in the Greek Recipes page!