I think Spring is the perfect season for lamb recipes and my favorite way of cooking it at home is doing a roasted leg of lamb. I like to leave it in the oven at low temperature until it comes off the bone and the flavor of the herbs is well embedded in the leg of lamb. My mouth waters just talking about it!
Watch How To Make It:
Roasted leg of lamb goes very well with potatoes, especially with Greek lemon potatoes and you can also make a gravy out of the sauce left over in the tray. It’s a great comfort food for family and friends to share!
Here is the written recipe, with the ingredients and step by step instructions:
- First, peel the garlic and cut the cloves in half
- Next, put the leg of lamb in an oven tray and sprinkle with olive oil, all over
- Now, chop the rosemary
- Then sprinkle some thyme, oregano and the fresh rosemary on both sides of the lamb
- Make small holes in the leg with a knife and insert the cut garlic cloves in each hole
- Sprinkle also some salt and pepper
- Then add the chopped green onion and garlic over the leg of lamb
- Next, pour the wine in the tray; not over the leg of lamb because you don’t want to wash all those herbs away
- Cover the tray with aluminum foil and seal it very well on the sides
- Then add the tray in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (or 180 degrees Celsius) and cook on the lower rack for 1.5h
- After that, take the tray out and carefully remove the aluminum foil, so you don’t get burnt by the steam.
- Now, with a large spoon, pour the juices from the tray onto the leg of lamb
- Put the tray back into the oven for 15 more minutes then take it out again and pour more sauce over the lamb
- Then increase the heat to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (or 200 degrees Celsius) and move the tray on the middle rack and cook like this for 20 minutes or until well roasted. Let is rest a bit before serving
Did you make this recipe?
More Greek Recipes
If you love Greece as much as I do, you want to know as many Greek recipes as possible. Click to see all of mine in the Greek Recipes page!