Spanakopita is our favorite savory pie in the entire world. It’s mainly phyllo, spinach and feta, but it has a lot more ingredients which give a nice flavor! We had this many times in Greece! The fun part about it is you can eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Watch How To Make It:
Spanakopita or spinach and feta pie, how we refer to it sometimes, is great to eat warm or cold, with yogurt or red wine. It’s not super difficult to make and it doesn’t take a very long time to prepare.
Here is the written recipe, with the ingredients and step by step instructions:
- Cutting board
- Oven-safe pan
- Sharp knife
- Rubber spatula
- 14 oz spinach (400g)
- 10 oz feta cheese (300g)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 red onions
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 3 oz butter (80g)
- 2 phyllo
- olive oil
- First, finely chop the onions
- Then, in a preheated pan at medium heat, add olive oil and then the butter
- After the butter has melted, add the onions and cook at low heat for 7-8 minutes
- Next, add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Then add the spinach gradually until you can fit it all in the pan, after which cook until it’s wilted. Put it aside and let it cool.
- Now, preheat the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (or 180 degrees Celsius)
- Take the eggs, add them in a large bowl and beat them
- Add the feta over the eggs and crush it
- Add the oregano and the nutmeg over this
- Then chop the dill and add it to the feta and egg mix
- Add also 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- Once the spinach mix has cooled down, add it over the feta mix and stir until everything is evenly combined
- Take an oven proof pan, add some olive oil and spread it with a brush.
- Add a sheet of phyllo in the pan and fit it in with your hands
- Then add another drizzle of olive oil and spread it over the phyllo.
- Add the feta and spinach mix over the phyllo and spread it evenly
- Next, add the second phyllo sheet over the mixture and add another drizzle of olive oil, which you spread again, with a brush.
- Then, fold together the edges of the two phyllo
- Gently cut the top phyllo sheet with a knife for design
- Last, put the pan in the oven and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Once it’s done, let it cool off.
Did you make this recipe?
More Greek Recipes
If you love Greece as much as I do, you want to know as many Greek recipes as possible. Click to see all of mine in the Greek Recipes page!