This is one of our favourite healthy recipes from Spain. We tried it in different cities and regions, also in various forms. Today I’m cooking our favourite version of the spinach and chickpea Spanish stew, which we ate at a friend in Barcelona.
Watch How to Make it
This is a good comfort food dish for all year, especially after a long winter, to help the body recover. Also, it’s a great vegan option!
Here is the written recipe, with the ingredients and step by step instructions:
Spanish Chickpea Stew
- Roast the pine nuts for 2-3 mins until golden brown at medium heat, then put aside.
- In a large pot with boiling water at medium heat, put the chickpeas in and boil for 12-15 mins. After that, drain the water and put the chickpeas aside.
- Chop the onion
- Crush the garlic
- In a large pan add olive oil and the chopped onion, then let this sweat for 3-5 min at medium heat.
- Add the garlic and let it cook for 30 sec.
- Add the cumin, the paprika and stir for 30s
- Add the tomato puree and let this simmer for 2 mins
- Add the white wine
- Add a teaspoon of salt and mix, then let it simmer for 5 mins.
- Add the spinach and put the lid on. Let it cook for 3 mins then mix.
- Add some black pepper and the chickpeas. Mix and let all this simmer for another 2 mins.
- Last, add the raisins and the pine nuts and mix.
- Serve in a nice bowl and add some raisins and pine nuts, so it looks nicer.
Did you make this recipe?
More Spanish Recipes
If you love Spain as much as I do, you want to know as many Spanish recipes as possible. Click to see all of mine in the Spanish Recipes page!