Just like the patatas bravas, the Spanish Tortilla is very popular in the bars and terraces in Spain. It’s basically potatoes and eggs but don’t be fooled, it’s not the simplest dish! I enjoy eating this out, when possible, or I sometimes buy it from the supermarket. The best way is to make it yourself at home, which I will try to do now, for the first time!
Watch How To Make It:
I think the Spanish tortilla is good all times of the day: especially breakfast, but it’s also a good snack. Some people eat it in the evening! You can eat it with a salad, with bread or even with a cold beer.
Here is the written recipe, with the ingredients and step by step instructions:
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
- Rubber spatula
- 1½ pound potatoes (600g)
- 5 eggs
- 1 medium onion
- olive oil
- Start by peeling and washing the potatoes. Next cut them in four and then in thin slices, around 1/4 inch (or 6 mm) thick
- Move on to the onion and cut it Julien
- Add olive oil into a pan until it reaches half of the pan then heat it up at medium heat
- Once the olive oil is hot, put the potatoes into the pan.
- Turn them around after 5 minutes of cooking and add the onions, mixing gently so the potatoes won’t break
- Cook for another 5 minutes, then turn the potatoes again. Now cook until the onion and the potatoes are soft – not fried, poached.
- Next, drain them of oil
- While these are resting aside, add the eggs to a large bowl and beat them.
- Then, add the potatoes and onion over the eggs and mix everything gently until the eggs cook a bit from the heat of the potatoes. Add salt to taste.
- Preheat a non-stick pan at medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Then add the mixture and raise the heat to high and cook like this for 1 min.
- After that, lower the heat to medium heat and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Then add a lid to the pan and cook for another 2 minutes at low heat
- Now it’s time to flip the tortilla using the lid. I was nervous because it was my first time doing this. The secret, I think, is to keep good pressure on the lid.
- Cook this side for another minute at high heat and then 2 minutes at low heat. After that, add it to a plate to serve.
Did you make this recipe?
More Spanish Recipes
If you love Spain as much as I do, you want to know as many Spanish recipes as possible. Click to see all of mine in the Spanish Recipes page!