Sweet and Sour Pork is one of the Chinese dishes we order at home and we really enjoy it. You can tell by the title that this dish needs a good balance of sweet and sour flavors. That part is in the sauce, which is nice and sticky. But there is more to this dish; for one I like the crunchiness of the pork. Then there’s the wonderful colors of the bell peppers combined with the unexpected pineapple. Pair all this with some plain rice and you have yourself a nice movie night treat!
Watch How To Make It:
Sure you can order Sweet and Sour Pork but I enjoy knowing how to make it at home. I relax when I’m cooking and it’s actually fun for me to do something new. Also, it’s very good to know how to make your favorite dishes when you travel for months, because you might not like the local adaptation of Chinese food where you’ll be.
Here is the written recipe, with the ingredients and step by step instructions:
Sweet And Sour Pork
- We start by cutting the pork into cubes and adding it to a bowl
- Next we put the 2 eggs into another bowl and beat them very well
- In a third bowl we add 1/2 cup of flour
- Add 1 teaspoon of baking powder and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce over the pork and mix it very well. If you can, leave it to marinate for 30 minutes
- You want to cover the pork in egg and flour twice. So, first put the pork into the egg, then into the flour. Again into the egg and then the flour. Then place it on a large plate. Make sure to have space between the pieces so they don’t stick together
- Next, in a preheated pan at medium heat, we add the pork in two batches and fry it for 5 -7 minutes or until it is golden brown
- After you fry all the pork you need to do it a second time. This time for 2 minutes, for extra crunchiness
- While the pork is frying, make the sauce. Add into a bowl the ketchup, water, vinegar, sugar, cornstarch and 1 teaspoon of salt. Mix everything together until evenly combined.
- Then cut the veggies and the pineapple into cubes
- Add the sauce into a boiling pot at medium heat and boil for 4 minutes or until it gets thick, then set aside
- Next, in a preheated pan at high heat add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and stir fry the vegetables for 2 minutes
- Then, add the pineapple and cook for 1 minute
- Make some room into the pan and add the crushed garlic. Cook for 30 seconds like this, then mix everything together
- Now, add the crispy pork and the sauce, then cook for 1 minute. Make sure everything is well covered by the sauce. Your dish is done!
Did you make this recipe?
More Asian Recipes
If you love Asia as much as I do, you want to know as many Asian recipes as possible. Click to see all of mine in the Asian Recipes page!