Bacon wrapped sweet potato, baked, with warm, spicy maple syrup and crushed almonds on top. This is a rich appetizer to offer your friends and family for Christmas, or any special occasion.
I’m used to eating pork for Christmas and I really like bacon! This year I wanted to make something special for my Christmas Appetizers so I turned to the idea of wrapping bacon. Sweet potatoes are a favorite for a traditional Christmas, so why not use them?
Crispy bacon is something I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of, although I don’t eat it all the time. Combine that with soft baked sweet potato, some warm maple syrup spiced with pepper and some crunchy almonds on top… what could go wrong? It sounds like a great appetizer, right?
As you will see in the recipe below, this is a simple dish to make. Having baked sweet potato bacon smell in the house is very heartwarming. I highly recommend you try this at home and get your family to participate, have some fun cooking together!
Sweet Potato Bacon Appetizer
- 2 sweet potatoes (2 medium or 1 large)
- maple syrup
- lemon juice
- Peel the sweet potatoes
- Wash, then cut them cubes of this size
- Cut the bacon in strips as wide as the sweet potato cube.
- Wrap the bacon strip around the sweet potato cube, and put a toothpick through them, to keep the bacon from moving.
- Put the cubes in an oven tray covered in baking sheet and insert in the preheated oven at 392 degrees fahrenheit (or 200 degrees celsius). Leave them to cook for 15 mins. I let them in more, because I like my bacon extra crispy.
- In a bowl mix some maple syrup with pepper and a drop of lemon juice. Mix the sauce well and add it to a preheated pan. Let it reduce 3 mins. at medium heat, then leave aside.
- Chop the almonds
- Take the tray out of the oven and pour the syrup over each cube
- Sprinkle the almonds over the sticky bacon wrapped sweet potatoes
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @notacheftv on Instagram and hashtag it #notacheftv.