This Mechouia salad comes from Tunisia and it sparked my interest when I saw on a food group that it’s one of the best salads in the world. Since it’s with roasted peppers and eggplant, the Mechouia salad sounds familiar to me so I thought it would be great to try it out and share it with you too!
Watch How To Make It:
I’ve seen this Mechouia salad done on a grill, but that’s difficult to use in an apartment, so I used the oven. I think this is a great salad to eat all year around, not just summer and I like the flavor of the tuna combined with the roasted bell peppers. I’m happy I tried this dish!
Here is the written recipe, with the ingredients and step by step instructions:
- We start by peeling the onion and cutting it into 4 pieces
- Next we put all the vegetables in a oven tray
- We sprinkle olive oil over them and coat the vegetables with the oil very well
- Then we place the tray into a preheated oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (or 200 degrees Celsius) and cook them for 25 minutes or until the vegetables get browned on the exterior and tender inside
- Take the tray out, cover it with aluminum foil and let the vegetables rest for 40 minutes
- After that, we peel the skins, clean the seeds and we add the vegetables into a large bowl
- Next we place them on a big cutting board and finely chop with a sharp knife
- Then put all the chopped roasted vegetables to a nice bowl
- Now toast the coriander and fennel seeds in a pan at medium heat
- After that grind them over the vegetables
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, then mix everything together until evenly combined.
- Serve with black and green olives and some canned tuna
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @notacheftv on Instagram and hashtag it #notacheftv.